The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (Monbukagakusho:MEXT) of the Japanese Government has been inviting international students to study in Japan at state expense since 1954.
|To be taken at (country):||Universities in Japan (Japan)|
|Value/Benefits||Full tuition fees and other fees. Monthly allowance valued at 117,000 yen per month. Other benefits may be found on the official website.|
|Eligible Field of Study||Major in Social Sciences and Humanities, and Natural Sciences.|
|Number of Scholarship||Not specified|
|Duration||5 years, including 1 year preparation in Japanese language.|
|Eligible Countries||Countries with diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.|
(1) Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and give up their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. Applicant screening will be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country
(2) Age: Applicants, in principle, must have been born between April 2, 1995 and April 1, 2003.
(3) Academic Background: Applicants must meet one of the following conditions. However, applicants desiring direct placement must satisfy either the following ① or ③ condition.
- Applicants who have completed 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above qualifications by March 2020 are eligible. However, applicants wishing to enroll from the autumn term through direct placement must be expected to complete 12 years of schooling by August 2020.)
- Applicants who have completed their studies at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above qualifications by March 2020 are eligible.)
- Other than the above 1 and 2 conditions, applicants who are eligible for enrollment in a Japanese university at the time of application.
(4) Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. In addition, in principle, applicants must be willing to carry out their academic studies in Japan in Japanese.
(5) Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
(7) Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between the 1st and 7th of April 2020. If an applicant is to enroll in his/her university from the fall semester through direct placement, he/she must be able to arrive in Japan during the period specified by the accepting university within two weeks before and after the starting date of the university’s relevant academic term for that year.
(7) Visa Requirement: An applicant shall, in principle, obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the residence status of “Student.”