Since 2009, the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (known as Public Policy and Good Governance) is supporting future leaders from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine (see list of countries), who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries. The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin. In the light of the principles of Good Governance, highly qualified graduates with a first academic degree are being educated in political science, law, economics and administration and prepared for future leading positions in their home countries.
|Application Deadline:||31 July 2019 (annual)|
|To be taken at (country):||Germany|
|Value/Benefits||Full tuition fees for DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme. Monthly scholarship rate of currently 850 €.|
|Number of Scholarship||Not specified|
|Eligible Countries||Africa, Latin America, North/Central America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and countries in the Middle East.|
Host/Eligible Field of Study
• Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
• University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance
• Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
• Leuphana University of Lüneburg: Public Economics, Law and Politics (PELP)
• Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
• University of Osnabrück: Master of Democratic Governance and Civil Society
• University of Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
• University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
The scholarship targets very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) who in the future want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
The main DAAD criteria for selection are: the study results, knowledge of English (and German), political and social engagement, a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit after the return to the home country.
The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship. Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.